All who follow Forever Freckled know our family goes ALL OUT for the holidays. We also don’t discriminate and celebrate all holidays! We never pass up an opportunity to get the family together, laugh, eat, create memories, and enjoy each other’s company. So I am excited to share one of our family traditions. My mom has been making one of the best egg recipes for us for years, traditionally on Christmas morning. Her mother, my Nonnie, passed it down to her.
I love this recipe. It’s easy, you can prepare it ahead of time, and it’s not just great for the holidays, but also for brunch or any family breakfast.
- 12 eggs
- Onion powder
- 1/2 cup milk
- Small can of chopped chiles (optional)
- 3 tablespoons of melted butter
- Individual slices of Original Velveeta cheese (the thicker ones)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Whisk the eggs with the milk.
- Add the spices and chiles.
- Spread the melted butter on the bottom of the pyrex dish.
- Layer on the cheese (make sure to use thick slices).
- Pour the egg mixture on the top of the cheese.
- Place in preheated oven for about 40 minutes.
- The eggs will rise, get bubbly, and the top should brown.
- Serve hot.
One of the Best Egg Recipes You’ll Ever Eat!
The greatest thing about this recipe is the versatility. Add whatever you want to the eggs – onions, bacon bits, pancetta, any type of cheese, etc. Get creative and make the dish your own! You’ll definitely agree it’s one of the best egg recipes you’ve ever made.
These notes are my Nonnie’s original recipe from her recipe box. I am honored to have many of them. I just LOVE making my Nonnie’s and my mom’s recipes. It always takes me back in time. I feel like I get to relive what they were doing back then.
Note the cursive writing on these cards. Do you believe they no longer teach cursive here in schools? Our kids will never write in cursive. It’s so important to pass on traditions and remember our loved ones.
Happy cooking everyone, and hug your family and friends extra tight!