Hey Loves, today we are going to a quick and easy arts and craft project! I have always found it a little ironic that I have been deemed the crafter of Forever Freckled. My mom will attest to the fact that out of the three sisters, I am the least likely candidate for this position. However, I have always said that you can take your greatest weakness and make it into your greatest strength. Because I am not natural crafter, when I do an art project with the kids it must meet very strict criteria.
1. It has to be easy enough for a kindergartner to do otherwise it will definently end up on Pinterest Fails.
2. It has to be convenient! Let’s be honest, nobody has time to make 20 stops to Michael’s Craft Store.
3. It has to be something that will keep your child’s interest. There is nothing more disappointing than spending the time to create an art project for your child and he or she is asking you when it is time to go to the park!
HOMEMADE PLAYDOUGH DIY
This is a great project to do at home with your kids. Most of the supplies you need are products that you already have in the kitchen. It takes minutes to do and there is something about the children making it themselves that keeps their interest. Mason and I made it the other day and he spent an hour creating and pretending with the playdough we made. The store bought Playdough has been sitting in a bin in the toy room for months. Not to be a complete nerd, but I also used it as an excuse to teach Mason about primary colors and how to mix them to create different colors. Although much messier, I let him combine different food coloring and kneed the dough to create new colors. Here is the homemade PLAYDOUGH recipe.
1 cup flour
1/2 cup salt
1 cup water
1 tablespoon oil
2 teaspoons cream of tartar
Food coloring by the drop
1. Combine all the ingredients in a pan and stir. Cook on the stove over low heat, stirring until a ball forms.
2. Add food coloring and mix thoroughly until you get your desired color.
3. Cool on foil and store in covered container.
Let me know about your homemade Playdough experience and also email me with any medical topics you guys want to discuss! See you next Wednesday!