Creating the perfect wardrobe takes time and dedication. Sounds like a silly thing to say, right?
Well it’s not. There are certain items in my closet that I can’t live without. They are my go to pieces that pull my outfits together and provide me with extra comfort. My sister Alison always struggles with putting a look together. She has a very large wardrobe to choose from and at times it can overwhelm her. I always tell her the same thing…invest in those special staple pieces and work your wardrobe around them.
The best part is that you don’t need to spend a lot of money, you just need to know what items to buy. You want to focus on items that will be seasonless. You also want to make sure they are basic enough that they can go with a variety of looks. This morning I went through my entire closet and pulled out the 9 items that I wear on a continual basis. Don’t get me wrong, I love shopping for trends as well, but their expiration date is short lived and I end up tossing the trendier items within a year. So next time you are out shopping, focus on buying something that is a classic piece for your wardrobe. Think of it as finding a piece that has great value to you!
Here are some must-have items from my closet and some tips on what to look for:
1. Skinny Jeans: A must have in your wardrobe. Not only should you have an every day dark denim but you should also invest in a dressier pair. I live in my black coated jeans and wear them day and night! J Brand Mid Rise Skinny | J Brand High Waisted Coated Skinny
2. Statement Pumps: Whether they are a bold printed floral or a classic animal print, a statement pump can turn around any basic outfit. Kristin Cavallari-Copertina
3. The Perfect Tee: My favorite layering piece. I have high standards for what type of t-shirts to buy. Look for good quality, soft fabric and relaxed fit. Also make sure your shirt is not too short. Alexander Wang Linen T-Shirt | Silence and Noise Scoop Neck Tee
4. Chunky Gold Bracelet: Accessories are super important to making your look feel complete. I love this chain link bracelet from J-Crew. It always make a statement and its an easy throw on piece that brings some flare to my outfits. J-Crew Chain Link Bracelet
5. Black Leather Jacket: Not brown. Not Navy. BLACK! Spend the money and invest in a great fitting leather jacket. Even living in Florida, I always break out my leather jacket when the temperature drops a bit. A definite must have. BB Dakota Tyne Jacket
6. Long Pendant Necklace: I have wasted so much money on cheap costume jewelry that quickly falls apart. Find a great quality necklace that is neutral and also pairs well with many different colors. Kendra Scott Pendant Necklace
7. Tall Riding Boot: It doesn’t matter where you live, from New York to Florida these boots can be worn anytime and anywhere. I particularly love this style by Vince Camuto. They always look great with tucked in skinny jeans and the stretchy material over the calf makes them extremely comfortable. Vince Camuto Karita
8. Timeless Bag: When I decide to buy a new bag, I always make sure that I buy something that is timeless. I look for a neutral color, gold hardware, quality leather and plenty of room for my stuff. If you take good care of your bags they can last for 5 to 10 years. Here is where I tend to splurge! Phillip Lim SatchelBag
9. A Great Flat: My sisters know that its pretty hard to get me into a heel. Although I obviously wear them, I am a jeans and sneakers kind of of girl. And since its not always fashionable to throw on a Nike running sneaker, I like to invest in a few great flats that are both comfortable and stylish! I like the metallics but you can always find a nice neutral option too. Steve Madden Ecentrcq Slip On
Hope you enjoy all the tips!