Halloween is an amazing holiday, when kids get to indulge in make-believe play and of course tons of candy! Unfortunately as fun as this spooky holiday can be, it is statically one of the most dangerous nights of the year. Of course we treat a lot of upset stomach and food allergies, but burns, cuts, and broken bones are very common injuries we see at the emergency room on halloween night. As children dash from house to house, focused on their next treat, the dark congested streets can lead to serious injuries and even fatalities.
Burns, Bruises, and Broken Bones. Make sure that your child’s costume fits appropriately. It is important to avoid over sized dresses and uncomfortable shoes. The bottom of your child’s costume should be a least an inch off the floor. Try to find a costume that your child can safety run in without tripping. The brighter the costume the better. You want your child to be visualized by possible passing cars. Get creative and incorporate reflective tape into the costume if possible. Remember candles are frequently used to light up pumpkins and other halloween decorations. Running children, loose fabric, and fire are a horrible combination. Try to find costumes that are made with flame-retardant materials. Go over and practice the principle of stop-drop-roll with your child, just in case his or her clothes catch on fire. Try to skip a mask and limit the amount of accessories. Masks can easily obstruct a child’s vision. You can use non-toxic hypoallergenic face paint instead. Lastly, try to avoid swords, knifes, and other sharp pointed accessories. It is not only a threat to your child, but to other trick-or-treaters too.
Street Safety. Twice as many child pedestrians will be hit by a car on halloween than any other day of the year. If you have smaller children, try to start your trick-or-treating while it is still light out. Go over street safety with your child before heading out. Children under the age of 12 years old should always hold an adult’s hand while crossing streets. Make sure to always use the sidewalks. If there is not a sidewalk, walk facing traffic and as far off of the road as possible. I suggest designating an adult to walk the children in your group.
Candy Catastrophes Make sure you go through your child’s bag before you let them dive in! If you have a infant or toddler in the house, hard candy and small toys can become a serious choking hazard. Make sure to eliminate all small and hard items from the bag. If you child has a specific allergy, do the research ahead of time. Look up the popular candies given out on Halloween, and make sure the factory is peanut free. Never allow your child to eat something that is homemade. If you are hosting a Halloween party, ask your guests ahead of time if their child has specific allergy and label foods that have peanuts in them. If your child has an allergy, make sure his or her epi-pen is with you before leaving the house.
Given the natural curiosity of children and the extra candy laying around the house, we’re sharing important tips for keeping those teeth and gums healthy, along with some important safety reminders. This year, the National Retail Federation projects Americans will spend a remarkable $2.7 billion (with a B!) on candy. Where does all that candy go?
With that in mind, many parents wonder how much tooth paste their child should use when brushing. Here’s an age guideline for you:
•Kids under 3 should use a grain of rice sized amount of toothpaste.
•Kids 3-6 years old should use a pea sized amount to minimize swallowing.
•Kids 8 and under should be supervised to develop good brushing and rinsing habits.
Check out the KnowYourOTCs.org web site for more information on fluoride and additional oral care tips, by clicking here.
Now about the natural curiosity of kids – one of their best features! This Halloween season, take a minute to make sure all of your over-the-counter (OTC) medicines are stored safely up, away and out of sight. Kids can easily be candy confused because some candy can resemble the look and color of some OTC medicines. Unfortunately, every day in the U.S., 4 busloads of kids are seen in Emergency Rooms due to accidental medicine ingestion. Here are 3 simple tips to keep in mind:
•Keep the Poison Control number handy: 800-222-1222
•Make sure all your medicines are stored safely up, away, and out of sight.
•Never ever refer to medicines as candy and teach your kids that only parents or a caregiver can give them medicine.
I’m proud to take part as a blogging ambassador with the CHPA (Consumer Healthcare Products Association) Educational Foundation and KnowYourOTCs.org. This is a Sponsored Post! While I Have Received Compensation From The CHPA Educational Foundation, All Opinions Are My Own.