When is the right time for a big kid bedroom makeover – the room that will take your little one through middle school and possibly even high school?
The Right Time is Now
About 6 months ago, Mason started complaining that he wasn’t sleeping well. He was waking up groggy and actually complaining of back pain. I was pretty surprised when I started looking into what could be the problem. After thinking about all the possibilities, I landed on his mattress as a pretty likely culprit and knew NOW was the right time for the big kid bedroom makeover.
How often do we really think about our child’s mattress? I mean, kids can sleep on anything, right?
With my pediatrician hat on, I started researching children’s mattresses. My discoveries were overwhelming. Children’s mattresses are usually the cheapest ones in the store. And that means the commissioned salesperson doesn’t really take the time to explain what exactly you’re buying or the dangerous materials inside these mattresses. Why waste time when they’re not going to make much, if anything, off of your purchase? There is very little incentive to educate you or make sure you’re purchasing a safe mattress.
But most children spend 8-14 hours a day sleeping face down on their mattress. So it’s really important to know what exactly they’re sleeping on!
When I bought Mason’s previous mattress, I bought it from the same online company as his bedroom furniture and didn’t think at all about the mattress makeup. I wasn’t properly educated on the importance of choosing a comfortable AND safe mattress.
But with Mason’s new issues, I learned from my previous mistakes. Many mattresses today are imported or assembled with imported materials, often leaving you sleeping on low quality, potentially dangerous materials. I made sure to find a better option. I researched options and found a safe and affordable option.
The Affordable AND Safe Option
Little LUFT is a fantastic option for parents on a budget who are looking for safe mattresses for their kids. Little LUFT is Oeko-Tex certified. This designation is one of the highest independent ratings in fabric for babies and children and guarantees the materials contain no harsh chemicals or carcinogens. The mattresses are also Certipur Certified, meaning all of the foams are certified through a third party for quality and safety.
LUFT guarantees the following of all of their mattresses:
- Made with no ozone depleters
- Contain no heavy metals (including mercury and lead)
- Made without prohibited phthalates
- Contain low VOCs (Volatile Organic Compounds)
- No BPDE (Polybrominated Diphenyl Ethers) in fire retardants
- Made with no formaldehyde
In addition to the fantastic health benefits of sleeping on LUFT mattresses, Little LUFT mattresses are designed to support smaller bodies. The individual coils contour to your child’s pressure points during sleep.
FRECKLEDKING saves $325 off a King LUFT.
FRECKLEDQUEEN saves $325 off a Queen LUFT.
FRECKLED150 saves $150 off a Twin or Full LUFT.
FRECKLEDLITTLE saves $100 off a Little LUFT.
Plus, use code FRECKLED40 to save 40% off LUFT’s newly launched accessory line, including pillows, TENCEL sheets, and mattress protectors!
Creating a Fun and Transitional Big Kid Bedroom
Since design is a passion of mine, I took this opportunity as an excuse to give Mason’s entire room a facelift. Out with the baby blue color scheme and the stuffed animals (well, we definitely kept a few!!) and in with footballs and trophies! I wanted to create a space he could enjoy today but would also transition well in the future.
Check out the links below for all the decor pieces and accessories in Mason’s new room.
5 Take Home Tips for Your Big Kid Bedroom Makeover
- Kids’ rooms can quickly become a graveyard for old broken toys and Pokemon cards. If you are taking the time to redo your child’s room, use it as an excuse to purge and reorganize. Use the opportunity to teach your children the importance of giving to others. Have them pick out toys to donate and together drop them off at local hospital or toy drive.
- Create storage even when storage doesn’t exist. Mason has a lot of sports equipment that ends up all over his bedroom floor. I found some amazing bins that also serve as side tables. Other great options are ottomans or benches with hidden storage. If you replace your child’s bed, spend the extra money and get a bed with storage or drawers underneath. Carrie just got an adorable bed for Jax’s room with great storage.
- If you don’t have a bookshelf or wall unit, floating shelves are a cheap and chic way to display your child’s trophies and other accomplishments.
- If you have a limited budget, paint and lighting are the quickest and most affordable ways to make a big impact. IKEA has great lighting options.
- When I staged Mason’s bookshelves, I simply used a lot of his existing toys. You don’t need to invest a lot of money in accessories – just get creative!!
Making the transition to a big kid bedroom is exciting for mom and big kid alike! Think about their likes and hobbies. Include them in the planning process. Make it fun! But don’t forget to think about their health and safety, too!
Mason’s New Room – Where to Buy: