Hi Everyone! Is there anything cuter than dogs and kids together? I mean, is it not the reason we all get up in the morning? Well maybe not for everyone, but nothing makes me smile more when I see kids and dogs together. I cannot wait for Newman (Carrie’s pup) to meet his new brother in August. I am already working with Carrie and Newman on ways to get Newman ready and prepared for their new arrival. I will definitely be blogging some great helpful tips. Today I want to chat about a common question I get at my animal hospital from clients–which are the best dog breeds for children? My clients want to know which breeds have sweet dispositions and tolerate and love children–all necessary traits for a family pet.
Here is my top list of the best dog breeds for children
- Boxer – This breed is known for being people oriented and loving children. They are energetic, affectionate and require plenty of exercise and playful interaction.
- Newfoundland – Newfoundlands have been dubbed “Nature’s Nannies” because of their known love of children. The are large, sweet and lovable fur-balls who desire nothing more than to keep watch on their families.
- Shetland Sheepdog – This breed is medium size, gentle, intelligent, affectionate and easily trainable. They are lively and playful and love children making them great family pets.
- Labrador Retriever – One of the most popular breeds all around, the best dog to have if you’re looking for a date, the only breed accepted for training as arson dogs, and one of the more popular breeds for service dogs. Labradors love to please their humans and be playful, protective, loving and reliable.
- Mutts – I have a soft spot for mutts! Go to your local shelter and consider rescuing a mixed breed dog. In fact, consider a mixed breed in any case. Puppies adjust well to children because they grow up with them. There are so many amazing dogs that need great families.
- Golden Retriever – Goldens are like Labradors. They are extremely patient, great around children and have high energy. Frequently used as service dogs, Goldens were originally bred as hunting dogs and are avid swimmers.
- Bulldogs – Bulldogs are great family pets and very popular. They are calm, courageous and friendly by nature. Their laid back and fun loving dispositions makes them the perfect pet for children.
- Beagles – Beagles are energetic and friendly but also sturdy and child-proof. They can help you herd the young ones at bed time and have endearingly humorous habits like howling (which can be amusing in small doses).
- Bichon Frise – A Bichon Frise does not shed and has a sweet nature making them ideal pets for families with children.
- Collie – “Lassie”…I think that says it all. These dogs are smart and predictable by nature. They love children and may lovingly try to herd them as they play. The Collie will also make a great watch dog. They are not aggressive but they will bark a warning and protect if attacked. They are gentle and loving with children.
- Standard Poodle – Standard Poodles are smart, gentle and good for children with allergies as they do not shed as much as other breeds. The Standard Poodle is good-natured and makes an excellent playmate for children.
- Goldendoodle or Labradoodle – Both of these dogs were bred for amazing personalities. They are highly-intelligent and family-friendly animals. These dogs are affectionate, great with kids and easy to train, making them the perfect family pet.
13 Dog Breeds Perfect for Families
Regardless of the breed of dog you end up making a part of your family, there are a few things I always tell my clients. First, try and get a puppy. Dogs do much better growing up with children and learning from a young age how to interact with them. Second, if your dog has ever shown aggression towards children, regardless of the training and time you have put into teaching them, you should always be careful and watch them closely when they are with your babies. It is difficult to teach a dog not to be aggressive towards children if they have that tendency. I hope this helps with your decision on welcoming a dog into your family. I would love for you to send pics in the “comments” section of your kids and their pets. I hope everyone has a great weekend!